Phuket takes stray dogs off streets after boy attacked
Phuket's streets will be cleared of stray dogs after a young boy was attacked and seriously injured by roaming canines while collecting shells and crabs with his young friends in adjoining Phangnga province.
There are an estimated 700 street dogs on the island.
Yuenyong Chairab was attacked under the Sarasin Bridge in Takua Thung district of Phangnga on Sunday.
The 7-year-old was out with friends when they were chased by four stray dogs.
The hospital said the boy's condition was improving and it was planned to take him off he ventilator on Tuesday.
The four dogs were trapped and were being held in Phangnga and would be checked to see if they were carriers of the rabies virus.
The boy's mother, Lamphaen, registered a complaint at the Khok Kloy police station.
She said the dogs had been dumped near Ban Tha Noon by their owners. Villagers had seen them attacking pets and farm animals in the area, according to Naew Na Online. They had asked the village chief to tackle the problem, but nothing had been done, she added.
Learn from listening
- confine (verb): to keep somewhere and not allow to leave; detain - กักตัว
- converge: to come from different directions to reach the same point - ไปยังจุดหมายเดียวกัน
- estimated: thought to be a particular amount, size, etc. based on a guess or the best information available - ประมาณการ
- laceration: a deep cut in someone’s flesh - บาดแผลที่ฉีกขาด, การฉีกขาด
- puncture: to make a small hole in the surface of something such as a tyre with something sharp - เจาะ
- rabies (n): a disease of dogs and other animals that causes madness and death -
- shelter: a place where animals are protected - โรงเลี้ยงสัตว์, สถานที่ที่ปลอดภัยสำหรับสัตว์
- shock (noun): a serious medical condition, usually the result of injury in which a person has lost a lot of blood and they are extremely weak - ช็อก, อาการสั่นกระตุก,อาการเป็นลม,อาการแน่นิ่งไปอย่างกระทันหัน
- stray: a pet that has no owner or that is lost or has left its home - สัตว์ที่ไม่มีเจ้าของ, สัตว์ที่หลงทาง
- ventilator (noun): a piece of equipment with a pump that helps somebody to breathe by sending air in and out of their lungs - เครื่องช่วยหายใจ