Chiang Mai airport to close early on Dec 31
Chiang Mai airport will cancel 54 flights and reschedule 37 others on New Year's Eve.
The airport general manager said on Thursday that on the last night of the year, the airport will only serve passengers until 7pm, after which time flights are cancelled to avoid lanterns and fireworks during the countdown to 2020.
The cancellations and rescheduling apply to flights which depart and/or arrive at the airport after 7pm.
He also reminded that nam prik num — a northern-style chili paste often brought as souvenirs from Chiang Mai — is considered liquid. As such, only packages containing less than 100 millilitres of the paste are permitted onboard the aircraft.
Learn from listening
- cancellation: a decision to stop something that has been arranged from taking place - การยกเลิก
- deploy: (of police or soldiers) to put in place ready for action - ส่ง (ทหาร, ตำรวจ) ประจำการ.
- lanterns (noun): lights enclosed in a container which has a handle for holding it or hanging it up, or the container itself - โคมไฟ
- liquid: a substance that flows freely and is not a solid or a gas, for example water or oil - ของเหลว
- paste: a smooth mixture of crushed meat, fish, etc. that is spread on bread or used in cooking - กะปิ
- permit (verb): to allow someone to do something - อนุญาต, อนุมัติ, ยินยอม
- reschedule: to change the time at which something has been arranged to happen, especially so that it takes place later - จัดตารางเวลาใหม่, เปลี่ยนตารางใหม่
- sniffer dogs: dogs trained to smell and find particular things, e.g., missing people, dead bodies, illegal drugs, etc. -
- souvenir: something that you buy during a holiday or at a special event to remind you later of being there - ของที่ระลึก