Nationwide night curfew starts Friday
All people in Thailand are banned from leaving home from 10pm to 4am starting Friday in the government’s latest moves to contain the spread of coronavirus.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announced the curfew on Thursday evening.
The exceptions are medical and banking personnel, as well as workers handling consumer products, farm goods, pharmaceutical products, medical supplies and equipment, newspapers, petrol, postal parcels, or products to be imported or exported. Movements of people to quarantine places are also allowed.
Other exemptions are people working normal night shifts or those heading to or from airports with necessary documents, or officials working by announcements or orders and those allowed by officials to leave the house on emergencies.
Violation will result in a jail term of not more than two years and/or a fine not more than 40,000 baht.
Centres will be set up to distribute face masks. “I won’t let anyone hoard the product and take advantage of people during this difficult time,” he said.
He urged everyone to cooperate for the ultimate goal of “zero”.
Learn from listening
- cooperate: to work with other people to achieve a result that is good for everyone involved - ร่วมมือกัน
- curfew: a law that does not allow people to go outside between a particular time in the evening and a particular time in the morning - กฎอัยการศึก คือห้ามออกนอกบ้านในยามวิกาล
- distribute: to give something out to many different places - แจกจ่าย
- exception: someone or something that is different in some way from other people or things and so cannot be included in a general statement - เป็นที่แตกต่าง ที่พิเศษออกไปจากกลุ่ม
- funds: money needed or available to spend on something - เงินทุน
- hoard: to collect a large amount of something - เก็บสะสม
- parcel: a package with something in it, sent through the mail, bigger than a letter - ไปรษณียภัณฑ์
- personnel: the people who are employed in a company, organization or one of the armed forces - บุคลากร, เจ้าหน้าที่, พนักงาน
- pharmaceutical: connected with the production of medicines - เกี่ยวกับเภสัชกรรม, เกี่ยวกับยา
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- relief: help for improving a bad physical condition or a bad situation - การผ่อนคลาย, การบรรเทา
- shift: a period of work time in a factory, hospital or other place where some people work during the day and some work at night - เวร, กะ หรือระยะเวลาทำงานเป็นช่วงๆ,
- violation: an action that is against a law, agreement, principle, etc. - การฝ่าฝืน