Easing of lockdown considered
published : 24 Apr 2020 at 09:45
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Mongkol Bangprapa
The National Security Council (NSC) is expected to present a proposal for the extension of the state of emergency to the prime minister on Monday, with some current restrictions to be relaxed to allow some businesses and daily activities to resume amid the coronavirus crisis.
The NSC met other security agencies to assess the current state of emergency which will end on April 30.
Speaking after the meeting, NSC secretary-general Somsak Roongsita said the meeting agreed that enforcement of the decree should be extended since the pandemic has not yet been brought under complete control.
The government will decide how long the extension will be, and how to lift some restrictions.
He said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will call a meeting of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Monday to decide whether to extend the state of emergency.
He said details regarding the relaxation of restrictions will be known after Monday's meeting.
Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman of the CCSA, said there has been concern that a second wave of Covid-19 transmissions will start once life starts returning to normal.
He warned people not to go out, except when it is absolutely necessary, as they will risk contracting the virus and infecting their families.
Learn from listening
- concern: interest or worry - ความสนใจ, ความกังวล
- decree: an official decision or order made by a leader or government - พระราชกฤษฎีกา
- enforcement: the process of making sure that something happens, especially that people obey a law or rule - การบังคับใช้กฎหมาย
- extend: to add more time - ยืดออกไป
- pandemic: a disease that affects almost everyone in a very large area - โรคที่มีการแพร่กระจายหรือระบาดไปทั่ว
- relaxation: making rules, controls, conditions etc less strict -
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- resume: to begin again after stopping for a period of time - เริ่มอีกครั้ง, กลับมาอีกครั้ง
- security agency: the army or the police or some other similar organization - ทหาร,ตำรวจ
- state of emergency: a dangerous situation in which the government takes on special powers and the rights of the people are often limited in some way - ภาวะฉุกเฉิน
- wave: an activity or situation which is happening again or is being repeated after a pause -
- prime minister