'Keep foreign tourists out': Poll
published : 14 Jun 2020 at 20:50
writer: Gary Boyle
A majority of people do not want foreign tourists to return soon, according to the results of a poll.
According to the results of an opinion survey by the Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, or Suan Dusit Poll, the majority believe foreigners could spread the disease and Thai people should be able to enjoy the country first.
The poll was conducted online between June 9-12 on 1,116 people throughout the country after the government announced the easing of the Covid-19 lockdown and invited the Thai people to visit places around the country to help stimulate the economy.
Each respondent was allowed to give more than one answer.
Asked when they thought Thailand's tourism would return to normal after the Covid-19 situation is resolved, 41.40% said in one year; 25.90% in six months; 20.52% in two years; and 12.18% in more than two years.
Asked whether they wanted foreign tourists to return to visit Thailand soon, 75.72% said "no", with 54.39% saying that they would like the Thai people to tour their own country first before going elsewhere and 21.33% saying that they were afraid the foreigners would spark a second wave of the virus.
The rest, 24.28%, said they wanted foreign tourists to come soon so that they could help the economy and generate income for the country.
Asked which provinces they would like to visit the most, the top five were: Chiang Mai (31.00%), Prachuap Khiri Khan (28.14%), Bangkok (19.35%), Chon Buri (18.55%) and Kanchanaburi (11.92%).
Learn from listening
- ease: to make a problem, situation or pain less severe or serious - บรรเทา
- economy: the relationship between production, trade and the supply of money in a particular country or region - เศรษฐกิจ
- elsewhere: another place or other places - ที่อื่น
- poll: an occasion when a lot of people are asked about what they feel about something - การสำรวจความคิดเห็น
- resolve (verb): to solve a problem - แก้ปัญหา
- respondent (noun): someone who answers questions - ผู้ตอบคำถาม/แบบสำรวจ
- spark: to make something happen - ก่อให้เกิด
- stimulate: to make something develop or become more active; to encourage something - กระตุ้น, ส่งเสริม
- survey: the act of asking for and recording information - การสำรวจ, การหาข้อมูล