Thailand to get Russian, Pfizer vaccines
Russian President Vladimir Putin will be selling Thailand his country's Sputnik V vaccine, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announced on Thursday.
Prayut also invited the private sector to a meeting next Wednesday to discuss ways they could help buy more vaccines.
Also, American pharmaceutical company Pfizer had agreed to sell Thailand 10 million doses of its vaccine.
Prayut's announcement came just two days after deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra offered to help Thailand buy more Covid-19 vaccine from Russia during a live broadcast on the social networking app Clubhouse.
Mr Thaksin criticised the government's slow vaccine rollout and suggested more should be bought from a wider range of producers, not just Sinovac and AstraZeneca.
The former premier offered to personally talk to Mr Putin in order to secure a deal for the Sputnik V vaccine for Thailand.
Prayut was clearly irritated when told of Mr Thaksin's offer on Wednesday. "I don't know him," Prayut said. "I won't answer that. Don't relay a question from someone who is not even in the country."
Learn from listening
- criticise: to say that you disapprove of somebody/something; to say what you do not like or think is wrong about somebody/something - วิจารณ์, ติเตียน,จับผิด
- deposed: forced from a position of power - ที่ถูกปลด ไล่ออกจากตำแหน่ง
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- irritated: annoyed - รำคาญ, หงุดหงิด
- private sector: businesses and industries that are not owned or controlled by the government - ภาคเอกชน
- relay: to pass something on (information, money, etc.) from one person or place to another - ส่งผ่าน
- roll-out (noun): an occasion when a company introduces or starts to use a new product - การนำ(สินค้า ฯลฯ) ออกส่สายตาประชาชนเป็นครั้งแรก
- vaccinate: to give someone a vaccine, usually by injection (putting a liquid, especially a drug, into a person's body using a needle and a syringe), to prevent them from getting a disease - ฉีดวัคซีน
- vaccine: a substance which contains a form that is not harmful of a virus and which is given to a person or animal to prevent them from getting the disease which the virus causes - วัคซีน