New school term opening delayed
The Education Ministry has decided to delay the opening of the new school term to June 1.
Education Minister Trinuch Thienthong said that coronavirus infections may be more severe and that would affect classes and activities.
Parents were also worried, she said.
The ministry had prepared guidelines to ensure the delay would not affect learning and the rights of students.
Between May 17 and May 31, all schools and teaching personnel were to prepare learning places, management and other related tasks for the new term, and ensure a full understanding with parents, Ms Trinuch said.
Teachers may be assigned to visit students at their home and to organise extra learning activities online, she said.
Schools on the outskirts of towns which were only slightly affected by the Covid-19 outbreak may be able to provide normal courses, the minister said.
"The new term is delayed for just 11 days. During this period, all educational institutes must prepare courses to meet the curriculum. The end of the school term remains unchanged, as on the school calendar, on Oct 11,’’ the minister said.
Learn from listening
- affect: to produce a change in somebody/something - กระทบ, ส่งผล, มีผลต่อ
- assign: to give someone a job to do - มอบหมาย, สั่งงาน
- curriculum: the group of subjects studied in a school, college, etc - หลักสูตร
- delay (noun): causing to happen at a later time; happening at a later time than expected - การเลื่อน, ช้ากว่าปกติ
- ensure: to make certain that something happens or is done - ให้การยืนยัน, รับรอง, ให้ความมั่นใจ
- guidelines: official instructions or advice about how to do something - สิ่งที่ช่วยแนะแนวทางให้ปฏิบัติ
- institutions: large and important organizations, such as universities or banks - สถาบัน
- outskirts: the areas at the edge of a city - ชานเมือง
- personnel: the people who are employed in a company, organization or one of the armed forces - บุคลากร, เจ้าหน้าที่, พนักงาน
- right: a moral or legal claim to have or get something or to behave in a particular way - สิทธิ
- severe: very serious and unpleasant - รุนแรง