Bangkok ranks top in Asia for digital nomads
Bangkok is the most popular city in Asia for digital nomads and ranks fourth globally, according to a study.
Digital nomads are defined as those who can work anywhere via telecom technologies by using laptops, often at coffee shops, co-working spaces and public libraries.
The top three spots for digital nomads were Vancouver in Canada, New York City and London.
Dubai in the United Arab Emirates came fifth, followed by Playa Del Carmen in Mexico, Los Angeles, Tulum in Mexico, Paris and Lisbon.
The rankings were determined by analysing almost 90,000 Instagram posts tagged #digitalnomad and a cost of living index, Netherlands-based online resume maker Resume.io said.
Rolf Bax of Resume.io said travel choices for digital nomads have been limited by the pandemic and border controls, but when travel opens up, "a whole new flock of online freelancers may find their place in the world".
Mr Bax said Bangkok fits perfectly with nomadic lifestyles.
"With cheap living costs, easy transport and warm weather, it has the full package," he said.
Learn from listening
- analyse: to examine the nature or structure of something, especially by separating it into its parts, in order to understand or explain it - วิเคราะห์, ศึกษา, ตรวจสอบ
- cost of living (noun): the amount of money that people need to pay for ordinary goods and services such as food, clothing and a place to live - ค่าครองชีพ
- flock: a group of birds, sheep or goats - ฝูงนก
- nomad: a member of a community that moves with its animals from place to place - ชนเผ่าเร่ร่อน, คนร่อนเร่
- nomadic: moving around from place to place without a permanent home - ซึ่งเร่ร่อนไปในที่ต่างๆ
- package (noun): a set of items or ideas that must be bought or accepted together - รวมกันเป็นชุด
- résumé (noun): (curriculum vitae) a written record of your education and the jobs you have done, that you send when you are applying for a job - ประวัติย่อ
- telecom: a business in the telecommunications industry - โทรคมนาคม)