Clusters surge across capital
published : 18 May 2021 at 08:26
Covid-19 infections continue to surge in Bangkok with 28 clusters now detected across 19 districts.
Prisons and construction camps have been identified as main sources of the latest outbreak.
The capital on Monday logged its highest number of new infections at 1,843. The country-wide total of 9,635 cases was also a record high, with several prisons accounting for 6,853 cases.
Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said authorities were closely monitoring the infection clusters in the capital, noting that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has separated the clusters into four categories depending on rate of local transmission and daily new infections.
Attempts to contain the spread of the virus are currently focused on a worker camp in Laksi district, which has reported 885 cases to date. The camp was built by the Italian-Thai Development company to house labourers working at a nearby construction site.
Dr Taweesilp said authorities were concerned as there were 11 subcontractors working at the site and their workers lived across eight camps in the area.
Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry is planning to inoculate at least five million people by the end of July.
Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), said the DDC woud allocate vaccines to the BMA to ensure 70% of Bangkok's population was vaccinated within two months.
- accounting for: supplying or making up a specified amount or part of -
- contain: to prevent from spreading; to keep within limits - จำกัด,ควบคุมไว้
- drive: a planned effort to achieve something - การผลักดัน,ความพยายาม
- labourer: a person whose job involves hard physical work that is not skilled, especially work that is done outdoors - กรรมกร, ผู้ใช้แรงงาน
- launch (verb): to start something - เริ่มต้น, เปิดโครงการ, เริ่มทำ
- measures (noun): actions taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- outbreak: the sudden start of a disease - การระบาดของโรค
- rate: the level or speed at which something happens or changes, or the amount or number of times it happens or changes in a particular period - อัตรา
- sealed off: to prevent people from entering or leaving an area or building - ปิด ห้ามไม่ให้เข้า
- subcontractor: a contractor that the main contractor doing a project hires to do work -
- surge: a sudden increase in something - การเพิ่มขึ้นอย่างรวดเร็ว