US: avoid travel to Thailand
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warned on Monday against travel to Israel, France, Thailand and several other countries because of a rising number of Covid-19 cases.
The CDC has been adding to its highest "Level 4: Very High" Covid-19 level as cases spread around the globe. The United States added Thailand, Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, along with other places, including Aruba and French Polynesia.
"Because of the current situation in Thailand, even fully vaccinated travellers may be at risk for getting and spreading Covid-19 variants," the CDC said on its website.
The list has more than 70 countries, including three other Southeast Asian countries -- Indonesia, Malaysia and Myanmar.
Thailand had a record high of 235 new Covid-19 fatalities and registered 19,843 new cases over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Tuesday.
The US State Department also issued its "Level 4: Do Not Travel" advisories for Iceland and France on Monday.
In July, the CDC had raised concerns about Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, lifting its travel health notice by two levels to "Level 3: High."
The CDC also raised alert levels to "Level 3: High" for Austria, Croatia, El Salvador, Azerbaijan, Guam, Kenya and Jamaica. The CDC says unvaccinated travellers should avoid unnecessary travel to those countries.
Learn from listening
- advisory: an official warning that something bad is going to happen and, often, how to deal with it - คำเตือน; การแนะนำ
- avoid: to stay away from; to not use - หลีกเลี่ยง
- concern: interest or worry - ความสนใจ, ความกังวล
- globe (noun): the world, Earth, or a similar round-shaped planet - โลก
- level: a position or rank in a scale of size or importance - ระดับ
- raise: to increase the amount or level of something - ทำให้สูงขึ้น, ส่งเสริม, ยกระดับ
- record: the best or most ever achieved - สถิติ
- unnecessary (adj): not needed; not necessary - ที่ไม่จำเป็น, ที่เกินจำเป็น
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน