Injured protester’s family vows legal response
The wealthy family of a protester who was injured and lost sight in one eye during a demonstration has promised all-out legal action.
Tanat Thanakitamnuay, a 29-year-old known as "Hi-so Luk Nat", was hurt during an anti-government protest in Bangkok on Aug 13.
The Thanakitamnuay family on Thursday night announced via Mr Tanat's Facebook account that his injury was apparently caused by the impact of a blunt cylindrical object. Doctors concluded that he had lost sight in his right eye permanently.
The family blames the disability on that day’s crackdown on protesters, saying authorities had failed to follow international practice regarding the firing of tear gas.
The family wrote that Mr Tanat adhered to the principle of peaceful demonstration and intended only to express his opinions, while avoiding any act that could lead to violence or damage. The demonstration on Aug 13, the family wrote, was not violent enough to justify the authorities' violent response.
The Thanakitamnuays vowed they would take all possible criminal, civil and other legal action against individuals and organisations considered as being responsible.
Mr Tanat wrote later on his Facebook account that he would continue to fight for his rights and that protesters should continue to adhere to peaceful action.
He is the scion of a prominent property development family that controls Noble Development Plc, one of Bangkok's biggest builders of upmarket condominiums.
Mr Tanat is also a former member of the Democrat Party and took part in Suthep Thaugsuban's "Bangkok Shutdown" street campaign. He resigned his membership when the party joined the coalition government formed by the Palang Pracharath Party after 2019’s general election.
- adhere to: to obey a rule, law, agreement, etc. - ทำตามกฎหมาย
- all-out: complete; involving all of someone’s energy, strength, and determination - อย่างเต็มที่, ไม่มีเหลือไว้เลย, ทั้งหมด
- blunt (adj): not sharp; without a sharp edge or point - ทื่อ, ไม่คม
- coalition: a temporary union of different political parties that agree to form a government together - พรรคร่วมรัฐบาล
- crackdown: strong action that someone in authority takes to stop a particular activity - การใช้กำลังเข้าปราบปรามของเจ้าหน้าที่
- cylinder: an object shaped like a wide tube; a metal container for gas or liquid - กระบอก
- justify: to show that there is good reason for something - แสดงเหตุผลที่ดีพอ
- principle: a basic belief, theory, or rule that has a major influence on the way in which something is done; a moral rule or standard of good behavior - กฎ, ข้อปฏิบัติ, หลักปฏิบัติ
- scion (noun): a young member of a family, especially a famous or important one - ทายาท
- vow: a serious promise - สาบาน