Thailand welcomes visitors from 46 countries from Nov 1
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha says Thailand will open the country to visitors from 46 countries, up from the 10 Covid-19 low-risk countries announced earlier, starting from Nov 1.
"If we wait until everything is fully ready, we'll be too late. Besides, tourists may choose to go elsewhere," he said in a Facebook post.
He added that he was aware the opening brought with it the risk of more local infections.
"But this is a risk we must take. I think, like other countries, Thailand is now better equipped to deal with the risk. And we need to learn to live with it."
Visitors from the 46 countries, described as the first low-risk group, may enter Thailand by air without quarantine, if they have been fully vaccinated and have evidence of pre-flight negative test results. They must also take another test on arrival.
Prayut added that the Public Health Ministry would speed up vaccinations locally.
He urged people to follow Covid-19 health measures — wearing masks, cleaning hands frequently and observing social distancing.
On Oct 11, the prime minister said tourists from around 10 countries would be allowed to visit Thailand starting Nov 1 without quarantine under the same conditions.
According to the information at the time, they can visit 17 places. It is unclear whether the list still applies after the expanded reopening. The 17 places are:
- Surat Thani
- Samut Prakan (Suvarnabhumi airport)
- Prachuap Khiri Khan (Nong Kae, Hua Hin)
- Phetchaburi (Cha-am)
- Chon Buri (Pattaya, Bang Lamung, Jomtien, Bang Sare, Koh Sichang, Si Racha)
- Ranong (Koh Payam)
- Chiang Mai (Muang, Mae Rim, Mae Taeng, Doi Tao)
- Loei (Chiang Khan)
- Buri Ram (Muang)
- Nong Khai (Muang, Si Chiang Mai, Tha Bo, Sangkhom)
- Udon Thani (Muang, Na Yoong, Nong Han, Kumphawapi, Ban Dung)
- Rayong (Koh Samet)
- Trat (Koh Chang)
- besides (prep): in addition to somebody/something; apart from somebody/something - นอกจากนี้
- elsewhere: another place or other places - ที่อื่น
- equipped: having what is necessary to do something - ครบครัน, ซึ่งมีเครื่องประกอบพร้อม
- evidence: information that is used in court to try to prove something - หลักฐานประกอบการไต่สวนคดี หรือพิจารณาคดี
- frequently: happening often - บ่อยๆ
- observe: to obey rules, laws, etc - ยินยอมทำตาม (ทางกฎหมายหรือประเพณี)
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- social distancing: avoiding groups of people in order to slow the spread of a disease -
- unclear (adjective): not clear and easy to understand -
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น