Omicron XE wave 'likely to be mild'
The Public Health Ministry on Sunday played down concerns raised by the first case of the XE Covid-19 strain in the country, saying there is no need to panic.
Thailand on Saturday reported its first case of Omicron XE, a combination of two previous versions of the Omicron variant, shortly after the World Health Organisation (WHO) warned about the new hybrid.
The WHO on Saturday issued a warning over the XE Omicron variant that many in the medical field fear could be the most transmissible yet.
The XE recombinant was first detected in the UK on Jan 19, the WHO said.
The head of the CMG said they normally receive virus samples for testing about a week after an infection is confirmed, which explains why by the time the results are known, most patients have already nearly recovered.
The centre said Omicron XE is 10% more transmissible than BA.2 and 43% more transmissible than the original Omicron (B.1.1.529).
Learn from listening
- concern: a worry - ความกังวล
- diagnose: to find out what physical or mental problem someone has by examining them - วินิจฉัย,ตรวจโรค
- mild: not strong - เบา, ไม่หนัก, ไม่รุนแรง
- patient: someone who is receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- play down (verb): to try to make something seem less important than it is - ลดความสำคัญของ
- recovery (noun): the process of becoming normal and healthy again - การฟื้นตัว, การฟื้นฟู
- transmissible: (of a disease) able to be passed on from one person to another -
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน
- warning: an action or statement telling someone of a possible problem or danger - การเตือน