Pot to be banned from most schools
The Ministry of Education plans to issue an order making many schools nationwide cannabis-free zones following the plant's recent decriminalisation.
Education Minister Trinuch Thienthong said every school affiliated to the ministry will be declared a cannabis-free zone and the ministry must ensure teachers and students understand the pros and cons of consuming cannabis.
A discussion will be held with the Public Health Ministry's Health Department on any potential side-effect of using cannabis as an ingredient in food and beverages including cookies, bread and juice.
Later, the Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec) will strictly contain the use of cannabis in schools, with standards to certify its use as an ingredient in food and drinks, she said.
The move is supported by Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt, who said schools affiliated with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) have a responsibility to ensure students have a more complete understanding about cannabis.
Since cannabis has been delisted from the narcotics list, parts of the plant can now be used for medicinal use.
Learn from listening
- affiliated: connected with - ที่เกี่ยวกับ
- cannabis (noun): marijuana; a drug made from the dried leaves and flowers or resin of the hemp plant, which is smoked or eaten and which gives the user a feeling of being relaxed. Use of the drug is illegal in many countries. - กัญชา
- certify: to give somebody an official document proving that they are qualified to work in a particular profession - รับรอง,ลงนามเป็นพยาน
- contain: to prevent from spreading; to keep within limits - จำกัด,ควบคุมไว้
- decriminalise: make not criminal, so that people can do activity without breaking the law -
- ingredient: one of the substances that are combined to make something - ส่วนผสม
- narcotics: illegal drugs such as heroin, cocaine or crystal methamphetamine - ยาเสพย์ติด
- pot (n): marijuana -
- pros and cons: advantages and disadvantages - ข้อดีและข้อเสีย
- responsibility: a duty; a duty to deal with or take care of somebody/something, so that you may be blamed if something goes wrong - ความรับผิดชอบ
- side-effect: an effect of a medicine that is not intended and could be unpleasant - ผลข้างเคียง
- understanding (noun): sympathy; understand someone's difficult situation; when you see and understand the problem that a person i experiencing so you don't complain or help them; compassion, pity - ] ความเห็นใจ, ความสงสาร