Chiang Rai airport closure extended
The closure of Mae Fah Luang international airport in Chiang Rai has been extended until noon Friday.
Efforts continue to remove the Nok Air plane that veered off the runway and became stuck in mud while landing on Saturday night.
An announcement by Airports of Thailand (AOT) said that about noon on Tuesday the work team was able to move the aircraft about 6 metres from where it had sunk into the rain-soaked ground.
However, the main landing gear on the left side then unexpectedly sank deep into the ground again. The removal team found that the ground had subsided following more heavy rain overnight.
It was agreed that more heavy moving equipment was needed. It would take some time to bring the machines to Mae Fah Luang airport.
Therefore, the airports authority decided to extend the airport closure until 12 noon on Friday Aug 5.
Learn from listening
- closure (noun): the shutting down of a school, factory or other business or service - การปิด
- effort: an attempt to do something - ความพยายาม
- extend: to add more time - ยืดออกไป
- landing gear (noun): the part of an aircraft, including the wheels, that supports it when it is landing and taking off; undercarriage - ล้อหรือส่วนใดๆ ที่ใช้รับน้ำหนักเมื่อลงสู่พื้นดิน
- mud (noun): dirt mixed with water - โคลน
- subside: to sink to a lower level - จมลง
- sunk (past of sink): having fallen to the bottom river, lake, sea, etc. - จมอยู่ใต้น้ำ
- veer (verb): to suddenly move in a different direction - เบน, แฉลบ เสียทิศทาง