Real owner of inferno pub surrenders to police
The real owner of Mountain B pub, Somyos Panprasong, surrendered to police on Tuesday in connection with the horrific fire there on Aug 5.
Mr Somyos, 55, was charged with recklessness, causing deaths and injuries, and opening and operating an entertainment venue without permission. He initially denied the charges.
Mr Somyos was being held by police for questioning.
To date the blaze has claimed 19 lives, with many more patrons suffering from critical burns.
The Pattaya Court on Monday issued a warrant for the arrest of Mr Somyos, police said.
The warrant was issued after police obtained solid evidence that Mr Somyos is in fact the owner of the pub, which was run by his son Pongsiri Panprasong, 27.
A team of police were reportedly sent to Mr Somyos' house in Sattahip on Tuesday morning.
Learn from listening
- denied (verb): said that something is not true or did not happen - ปฏิเสธ
- evidence: facts statements or objects that help to prove whether or not someone has committed a crime - หลักฐาน
- injury (noun): physical damage done to a person or a part of their body - อาการบาดเจ็บ
- patron: a customer; someone who uses a particular entertainment place, hotel, restaurant, etc. - ลูกค้า
- permission: allowing someone to do something - การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
- questioning: when the police asks a person questions in the investigation of a crime -
- recklessness: doing something dangerous and not worrying about the risks and the possible results - ความชะล่าใจ,ความเสี่ยง,ความไม่ยั้งคิด
- surrender: to give yourself up - ยอมจำนน
- to date: until now -
- warrant (noun): a legal document that is signed by a judge and gives the police authority to do something - หมาย