Police target Pattaya transgenders preying on tourists
Tourist police have begun a campaign to prevent transgender people preying on tourists along Pattaya beaches ahead of the high season for tourism.
The campaign started at 10pm on Tuesday at Walking Street in South Pattaya, with patrols of tourist police and volunteers scouring Pattaya beaches for transgender people.
The patrols round up 36 people. Their personal information was taken and put on record. They were then warned against gathering in groups along the beaches and tourist spots to target tourists with aggressive offers of sex services and committing other crimes.
Police said the campaign was intended to protect both Thai and foreign tourists against being assaulted and robbed.
The patrols would be deployed on a daily basis, and legal action would be taken against those found defying the warning, police said.
- aggressive: behaving in an angry and violent way towards another person - ก้าวร้าว
- assault: attacking someone violently - การทำร้ายร่างกาย
- campaign: a planned group of especially political, business or military activities which are intended to achieve a particular aim - การรณรงค์
- committing: promising to do something - ให้คำมั่นสัญญา
- crime: an illegal activity or action - อาชญากรรม
- defy: to refuse to obey or accept someone or something - ท้า, เป็นปฏิปักษ์ต่อ
- patrol: a group of people or vehicles that move around a place in order to prevent trouble or crime - หน่วยลาดตระเวน
- scour: to search a place or document thoroughly for something - ค้นหา, ตรวจหา
- transgender: an umbrella term for people whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from what is typically associated with the sex they were assigned at birth - คนข้ามเพศ, คนที่แสดงออก หรือแต่งกาย หรือผ่านการผ่าตัดเพื่อเปลี่ยนเป็นเพศตรงข้าม