189 Thai eateries win Michelin Guide label
Some 189 restaurants and street-side eateries have been awarded the Bib Gourmand label by the Michelin Guide for being the best value-dining spots.
The label adds to the government's promotion of food tourism.
The selected eateries include 53 new entrants on the Bib Gourmand list and six that were elevated in the rankings.
Some 82 are located in Bangkok and its surrounding provinces, 13 in Ayutthaya, 27 in Chiang Mai, 23 in Phuket, 11 in Phang-nga, nine in Nakhon Ratchasima, six in Ubon Ratchathani, seven in Udon Thani and 11 in Khon Kaen.
Key criteria for the Bib Gourmand label are the quality of ingredients used, distinct taste and creativity in cooking. Dishes that reflect the character of the chef also score higher, while value for money and consistency in taste of the same dishes savoured at different times are also important.
Learn from listening
- character: all the qualities and features that make a person different from others - บุคลิก, ลักษณะนิสัย
- consistency (noun): the quality of always behaving in the same way or of having the same opinions, standard, etc; the quality of being consistent - ความสม่ำเสมอ
- criteria: a standard that is used for judging something or for making a decision about something - บรรทัดฐาน
- distinct : clearly different - แตกต่างอย่างสิ้นเชิง
- eatery: a restaurant - ภัตตาคาร
- elevate (verb): to lift something up or put something in a higher position - ยกระดับขึ้น, เลื่อนขึ้น
- label (noun): a piece of paper, etc. that is attached to something and that gives information about it - ฉลาก, แถบ
- promotion: the act of encouraging or supporting something - การสนับสนุน
- rankings (noun): the position of somebody/something on a scale that shows how good or important they are in relation to other similar people or things, especially in sport - อันดับ