Body of another Sukhothai crewman identified
published : 30 Dec 2022 at 13:30
writer: R May
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
The body of another crewman from HTMS Sukhothai has been identified as searchers focus on islands off Chumphon province in the hope of finding the five remaining missing sailors.
Royal Thai Navy spokesman Admiral Pokkrong Monthatpalin said on Friday — almost two weeks after the warship sank in the Gulf of Thailand — that the latest victim found on Thursday was CPO 1 Prai Ruamyart.
Authorities are waiting for the results of DNA tests to confirm the identity of one more dead crewman.
Five sailors are still missing, with 76 survivors and 23 deaths, as the search and rescue operation entered a 12th day on Friday.
The navy corvette with 105 personnel on board sank amid gusty winds and very rough seas shortly before midnight on Dec 18 off Bang Saphan district in Prachuap Khiri Khan.
The navy is preparing to open an investigation into the sinking and related issues, including the cause, ship maintenance and operation, what happened when the ship was abandoned and the ensuing rescue efforts.
The spokesman and Vice Admiral Pichai Lorchusakul, commander of the 1st Region of the Royal Thai Navy, said in separate briefings that the mission on Friday would focus on islands and the sea off Chumphon, including Lanka Jew and Ngam Yai which are part of Mu Ko Chumphon National Park.
The navy has sent 28 highly skilled Seals divers to join 50 navy and volunteer frogmen in the operation in shallow and deep seas.
“We hope we can find the remaining five today [Friday],” Vice Adm Pichai said at the field operation command in Bang Saphan.
Most of the recently recovered bodies have been found in the waters off Chumphon, prompting searchers to concentrate on the sea in the southern province.
- abandon: to leave someone/something - ปล่อยทิ้งไว้
- amid: during the time when something else is happening - ท่ามกลาง
- commander (noun): the head of large military unit or a crew - ผู้บังคับบัญชา
- corvette (noun): an escort vessel smaller than a frigate -
- crewman: a person who works on a ship, aircraft, etc. - ลูกเรือ
- ensuing: following - ที่ตามมา
- gusty: with sudden, strong winds - มีลมแรง,มีลมจัด
- identify: to specify who someone is - ระบุชื่อ
- personnel: the people who are employed in a company, organization or one of the armed forces - บุคลากร, เจ้าหน้าที่, พนักงาน
- prompt: to cause something to happen or be done - ก่อให้เกิด
- rough: (of a body of water) not calm or smooth - มีคลื่นมาก
- shallow: not deep - ที่ตื้นเขิน