Tanker explodes, dock workers missing
published : 17 Jan 2023 at 13:29
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
Eight workers were missing and houses damaged after an empty oil tanker caught fire and exploded at a dockyard on the Mae Klong river in Samut Songkhram on Tuesday morning.
The explosion aboard the tanker Smooth Sea 22 was reported to police about 9.17am.
The tanker was undergoing regular maintenance at Ruammitr Dockyard in tambon Laem Yai. Its tanks were empty.
The explosion was heard and felt over a radius of several kilometres. Glass window panes in houses were shattered.
The Marine Department said about an hour later that the fire on the ship had been brought under control. Eight dockyard workers were missing.
The department was investigating the cause of the fire.
- cause: the person or thing that makes something happen - สาเหตุ
- dockyard: an area with docks (= the place where ships are loaded and unloaded in a port) and equipment for building and repairing ships - บริเวรอู่เรือ
- explosion (noun): the sudden violent bursting and loud noise of something such as a bomb exploding; the act of deliberately causing something to explode - การระเบิด
- maintenance: work that is done to keep something such as a building, machine, or piece of equipment repaired and in good condition - การซ่อมบำรุง
- radius: a particular distance in all directions from a central point - รัศมี
- shattered: badly damaged or destroyed - ที่เสียหายป่นปี้
- tank (noun): an object shaped like a wide tube; a metal container for gas or liquid - กระบอก
- tanker (noun): a large ship used to carry oil by sea from place to place - เรือบรรทุก