Police seize 70 more cars from major car theft gang
Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) police have retrieved 70 more vehicles from a car park in Nonthaburi province.
The seizure came after a caretaker of the car park notified the CIB to look into some vehicles parked in his venue by suspected gang members.
Thirty-nine of the seized cars were found to be evidence in theft cases.
In November last year, police arrested several suspects who were members of the “Jae Ploy Chon Buri’’ gang.
The suspects had posted online advertisements encouraging people to mortgage their vehicles with them. Once the vehicles were handed over, the gang refused to return them and later resold them.
After arresting the suspects, the CIB police extended the investigation, which led to searches at seven locations, and were able to seize 64 cars in Nonthaburi during a crackdown on the major car theft gang on Nov 26 last year.
Of the 64 seized vehicles, 56 were found to be evidence in cases filed with police by victims of the gang.
Police continued to retrieve more vehicles from the gang, as there were 509 victims with 511 cars held by the gang.
The CIB later gave retrieved vehicles to their owners.
Learn from listening
- evidence: facts statements or objects that help to prove whether or not someone has committed a crime - หลักฐาน
- mortgage: a legal agreement in which you borrow money from a bank in order to buy a house, build something, develop a piece of land, etc - การจำนอง
- retrieve (verb): to get something back, especially something that is not easy to find - ได้กลับคืนมา
- seized: taken away by force or official power - ถูกยึกครอง
- seizure: the act of taking control of something, especially by using power or force - การบุกเข้ายึด
- suspect: a person who is thought to have committed a crime - ผู้ต้องสงสัย
- suspected: thought to be something - เป็นที่สงสัย