Swede dies in road accident after first meeting with Thai girlfriend
published : 30 Jan 2023 at 11:10
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Post Reporters
A Swedish man died instantly when his motorcycle plunged into a roadside ditch days after his first meeting with the Thai girlfriend he met online.
The 50-year-old man was found dead in the ditch in Roi Et on Saturday afternoon.
Police found the man lying in the ditch with a broken neck and a deep gash in his right thigh. The motorcycle he rode was heavily damaged. It apparently hit a concrete sewer pipe in the ditch.
The man's heartbroken 27-year-old girlfriend, a native of Suvarnabhumi district, said she had met the Swedish man online two years ago and had kept in touch with him since.
The man had just taken leave from his work to visit Thailand. They met in person for the first time five days ago, she said, and had decided to get married.
After having lunch on Saturday, the man told her he would like to ride a motorcycle to take pictures of local areas. She warned him to ride safely.
Shortly afterwards she learned about the accident that happened about six kilometres from her village.
Learn from listening
- ditch: a long narrow open channel dug into the ground usually at the side of a road or field, which is used especially for supplying or removing water, or for dividing land - คูน้ำ
- gash: a big cut or slice made through something - ตัดยาวลึก , แผลตัดยาวลึก, รอยแผลซึ่งแคบลึกบนผิวหนัง
- heartbroken: to feel very sad, depressed, downcast, downhearted - ช้ำใจ, ผิดหวัง, เสียใจมาก, อกหัก
- leave (noun): time taken off from work, either paid or unpaid - การพักงาน
- pipe (noun): a long tube used for carrying water, oil, gas, etc. from one place to another place - ท่อ
- thigh: the top part of your leg, above your knee - ต้นขา