Air pollution warning for Bangkok
published : 31 Jan 2023 at 09:22
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Post Reporters
Unsafe levels of fine dust are forecast for the capital city from Tuesday to Friday due to stagnant air and extensive burning in Cambodia.
A high pressure system from China would cover the country and cause stagnant air which would result in the accumulation of dust particles that could reach unsafe levels from Jan 31-Feb 3, Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt said on Monday.
"There are more hotspots due to biomass burn-off in Cambodia. Northeasterly winds are blowing the dust of burnt biomass to the Gulf of Thailand but on Feb 1 and 2 the wind direction will change. The easterly wind will bring more biomass dust to Bangkok," Mr Chadchart said.
He advised people in the city to wear face masks when outdoors, but to try to avoid outdoor activities.
From Tuesday to Friday, businesses and employees should work from home where possible, to avoid the pollution, the governor said.
The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency reported 771 hotspots in Thailand, 1,996 in Cambodia, 683 in Laos, 647 in Myanmar, 384 in Vietnam and one in Malaysia on Sunday.
Learn from listening
- accumulation: increasing over time as more and more is added - การเก็บสะสม, การพอกพูน, การรวมตัวกันมากขึ้น, การเพิ่มจำนวนมากขึ้น,
- biomass: natural materials from living or recently dead plants, trees and animals, used as fuel and in industrial production, especially in the generation of electricity - มวลชีวภาพ
- burn (verb): to produce flames and heat - ไหม้, เผา
- dust: very small pieces of dirt that cover surfaces inside buildings like a powder - ฝุ่น
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- high pressure system: a flow of dry, sinking air that typically builds behind a departing storm system -
- hotspot: a place where there is a lot of activity, or a higher temperature than normal -
- stagnant: (of water or air) not moving and therefore smells unpleasant - นิ่ง, น้ำทรง