Pattaya floating restaurant sinks
published : 31 Jan 2023 at 12:20
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Chaiyot Pupattanapong
A floating pirate-themed café and restaurant was flooded and left partially underwater by rough seas off Pattaya on Monday evening. Nobody was hurt.
The double-decker raft, named Krakenian, offers dining, live music, a karaoke room and squid fishing.
It began listing to one side as it was hit by waves driven by strong winds around 4pm on Monday. It was flooded and partially submerged.
There was an unconfirmed report of a problem with a water pump not working properly. Rescuers helped employees to safety. There were no guests on board.
The pirate-themed restaurant was only recently opened.
The restaurant had been closed for some days because of the poor weather and rough seas.
An executive said water had entered the side of the boat and caused it to list heavily. The entire raft did not sink.
The hull was nose-down and resting on the sandy sea floor. The water was not deep.
Raising it back to the surface would take about one hour once the operation got underway, officials said.
- double-decker: a boat, bus, etc. that has two levels, i.e., two decks - เรือ, รถบัส, ฯลฯ ที่มีสองชั้น
- hull (noun): the main, bottom part of a ship, that goes in the water - ตัวเรือ, ลำเรือ
- list (verb): (of a ship) to lean to one side - ทำให้เอียงข้าง (เรือ)
- partially: in part, but not completely - บางส่วน
- pump: a piece of equipment for making a liquid or gas move into or out of something - เครื่องสูบ(น้ำ etc.)
- raft: a small light flat boat made of wood, rubber or plastic - แพ เรือแพ
- rough: (of a body of water) not calm or smooth - มีคลื่นมาก
- submerged: under water - จมน้ำ อยู่ใต้น้ำ
- surface: the outside or top layer of something - ผิวหน้า, ผิวภายนอก, ด้านนอก
- unconfirmed: that has not yet been proved to be true or confirmed -