Boys charged with armed robbery of kratom leaves
published : 6 Feb 2023 at 14:26
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Surachai Piragsa
Five boys have been charged with armed robbery and illegal possession of guns after a shop was robbed of 2 kilogrammes of kratom leaves in Buri Ram.
About 4pm on Friday, five youths with two home-made guns robbed a shop selling kratom leaves beside Highway 24.
One of the robbers fired a threatening shot into the air while others grabbed two bags each containing a kilogramme of kratom leaves. They fled on two motorcycles.
Five suspects, aged 13-16 years, were arrested shortly afterwards. Police also seized two home-made guns and 1kg of kratom leaves. They were charged with robbery and illegal possesion of firearms.
Kratom is a tree in the coffee family found in Southeast Asia and Africa. Its leaves contain a stimulant.
Consumption of kratom is now legal following its removal from the narcotics list.
- armed: using weapons - ติดอาวุธ
- consumption: using, eating or drinking something - การบริโภค
- firearms: guns - อาวุธปืน
- flee (past form: fled) (verb): to leave a place or person quickly because you are afraid of possible danger or consequences - หนี
- kratom (n): a locally grown plant traditionally used as a stimulant and painkiller -
- narcotics: illegal drugs such as heroin, cocaine or crystal methamphetamine - ยาเสพย์ติด
- seize (verb): to take something using force - ยึด, จับกุม
- stimulant: a substance that makes a part of your body work faster or better; a substance that makes you feel more awake when you eat it or drink it - สารกระตุ้น
- threatening: dangerous; likely to cause harm or violence - อันตราย, เป็นภัย