Finns world's happiest, Thais ranked 60th
Thailand moved up one place to ranking 60th on the World Happiness Report 2023, while Finland has retained its top billing as the happiest country in the world for the sixth consecutive year.
The report ranks 137 countries. War-torn Afghanistan is the least happy country while Lebanon, Zimbabwe and Congo are not far behind.
The report, released on March 20 to mark the International Day of Happiness, is a publication of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network. It assesses happiness based on various criteria, including social support, income, healthy life and corruption.
Participants from each country joined the poll to evaluate their level of happiness from zero to 10, in which zero means they are completely unsatisfied and 10 the opposite.
Thailand scored 5.843, making it the third happiest country in Southeast Asia after Singapore (6.587) and Malaysia (6.012).
Thailand received its lowest score in terms of perception of corruption (0.013), followed by generosity (0.291), healthy life expectancy (0.461), freedom to make life choices (0.624), social support (1.344) and GDP (1.515).
Learn from listening
- corruption (n): dishonest or illegal behaviour, especially of people in authority -
- criteria: a standard that is used for judging something or for making a decision about something - บรรทัดฐาน
- evaluate: to form an opinion about something after thinking about/examining it carefully - ประเมิน
- GDP: gross domestic product, the total value of all goods and services produced in a country in a year, except for income received from money invested in other countries ผลิตภัณฑ์มวลรวมภายในประเทศ -
- generosity: kindness, especially in giving things to people - ความกรุณา
- participants (noun): people who take part in something - ผู้เข้าร่วม
- perception: a particular way of understanding or thinking about something - ความเข้าใจ
- rank: to put someone or something into a position according to their success, importance, size etc - จัดลำดับ
- social (adjective): related to society, to people and the way they are connected to each other and interact with each other - เกี่ยวกับสังคม
- war-torn (adj): severely affected by the fighting that is taking place -