Mountain fire threatens Khao Yai
published : 31 Mar 2023 at 09:29
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Wassana Nanuam
A wildfire on Khao Chaphlu in Nakhon Nayok's Muang district on Tuesday evening was moving closer to residential areas yesterday after having burned 700 rai of forest across three mountains.
Authorities fear strong winds in the area may cause the fire to spread towards Khao Yai National Park, which is just three kilometres away.
The Meteorological Department, meanwhile, warned that if this fire isn't contained within the next three to four days, Bangkok and its surrounding provinces will get severe air pollution.
Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, and Prachin Buri have been seriously affected by the smoke.
Authorities expect to completely contain the fire in about five days, though all efforts were being made to ensure the operation wraps up in about three days.
The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has sent three helicopters to help fight the blaze, a source said.
A team of firefighters from Khao Yai National Park began moving on foot towards the fire zone yesterday as the fire appeared to slow down, said the head of Khao Yai National Park.
However, he said the blaze might spread rapidly again if wind speeds increase.
The fire, which began on Khao Chaphlu and was reportedly caused by a lightning strike, spread to Khao Laem and Khao Tabaek overnight on Tuesday and Wednesday.
As of press time yesterday, the fire on Khao Chaphlu and Khao Tabaek was still visible, while the fire on Khao Laem was believed to have been brought under control.
Learn from listening
- affected (verb): having received an effect or influence - ถูกผลกระทบ, มีผลต่อ
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- contain: to prevent from spreading; to keep within limits - จำกัด,ควบคุมไว้
- lightning: a flash, or several flashes, of very bright light in the sky caused by electricity - ฟ้าผ่า, ฟ้าแลบ, สายฟ้า
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- operation: a planned activity involving a lot of people, especially soldiers or police officers - การปฏิบัติการ
- pollution (noun): contaminated, when something has been made dirty, poisonous, unpleasant to see or smell and possibly dangerous to health - การทำให้เป็นมลพิษ, การทำให้สกปรก, ภาวะมลพิษ, สภาวะมลพิษ, มลภาวะเป็นพิษ, สภาพเป็นพิษ, ความสกปรก
- rapidly: happening quickly - อย่างรวดเร็ว
- severe: very serious and worrying - ที่รุนแรง ที่น่าเป็นห่วง
- source: a place where information comes from; someone who gives information - แหล่ง
- threaten: to put at risk; to put in danger - ทำให้ตกอยู่ในความเสี่ยง