Politician dies after car race
published : 31 Mar 2023 at 14:10
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
Chonsawat Asavahame, a key political figure in Samut Prakan province, died at the age of 54 early Friday morning after driving in a practice car race in Buri Ram.
Chonsawat reportedly passed out after participating in the race at Chang International Circuit in Buri Ram on Thursday afternoon and was rushed to Buri Ram Hospital.
Initially he was suspected of having suffered from heatstroke but was later diagnosed with acute coronary syndrome.
The politician was pronounced dead at Buri Ram Hospital at 1.15am on Friday and his body would arrive in Samut Prakan for funeral rites on Friday afternoon.
Chonsawat was the son of former deputy interior minister Vatana Asavahame. He was the chief of the Samut Prakan provincial administrative organisation and was married to popular singer Nantida Kaewbuasai. In 2022, he became embroiled in a temple fund corruption scandal.
In 2016 he was hospitalised for a possible heart attack.
Learn from listening
- coronary care: looking after and treating diseases of the heart, blood vessels and circulatory system -
- corruption (n): dishonest or illegal behaviour, especially of people in authority -
- embroiled: involved in a difficult situation - พัวพันอยู่ใน
- heatstroke: an illness with fever and often loss of consciousness, caused by being in too great a heat for too long - ลมแดด
- participating: taking part in something - เข้าร่วม
- passed out: became unconscious - หมดสติ
- pronounced dead: officially confirmed to have died -
- scandal (noun): a situation in which people behave in a dishonest or immoral way that shocks people - เรื่องอื้อฉาว