Highway cop boss transferred in bribe saga
Pol Maj Gen Ekkaraj Limsangkat, commander of the Highway Police Division, was moved to an inactive post on Tuesday.
The order takes effect immediately and was signed by CIB chief Pol Lt Gen Jirabhop Bhuridej. Pol Maj Gen Ekkaraj was replaced by Pol Maj Gen Jaroonkiat Pankaew, commander of the Anti-Corruption Division (ACD), until further notice.
Meanwhile, the Office of the Inspector-General of the Royal Thai Police (RTP) will ask Wiroj Lakkhanaadisorn, a Move Forward Party list MP-elect, to provide them with information on his claims about drivers of overloaded lorries paying kickbacks.
The stickers variously depicted rabbits, a smiling sun or Kung Fu Panda, and were available at a cost of thousands of baht per month, he said.
Police inspector-general Pol Gen Visanu Prasarttong-Osoth on Tuesday said he will ask Mr Wiroj for more details and also speak with the chairman of the truck association of Thailand and the highway police officers accused of turning a blind eye to the vehicles.
Pol Gen Visanu said this scrutiny process is the first time that a new police complaint review board will be tasked with reviewing a complaint.
- allegation: an accusation; a statement that someone has done something wrong or illegal even though this has not been proved - ข้อกล่าวหา
- bribe: money or a present given to someone so that they will help you doing something dishonest or illegal - สินบน
- inspector-general (noun): a senior officer in the police force -
- kickbacks (noun): money that is paid to someone illegally in exchange for secret help or work - เงินสินบน, เงินใต้โต๊ะ
- lorry: a truck; a large road vehicle used for carrying goods - รถบรรทุก
- overloaded: having too great a load or weight on something - บรรทุกเกินพิกัด
- probe: an investigation - การสอบสวน
- saga: a long complicated series of related usually negative events - การเล่าอย่างยืดยาว
- task with: to give someone a particular job, responsibility, etc. - ให้งาน
- transfer: to change someone’s job or responsibilities - โยกย้ายตำแหน่ง
- turn a blind eye: to deliberately not pay attention to; to ignore - ทำไม่รู้ไม่ชี้ ทำเป็นไม่เห็น
- weighbridge: a machine for weighing cars or trucks -