Family worry about Thaksin's return
The Shinawatra family wants fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to postpone his return from exile to Thailand, according to a source.
Shortly before the May 14 general election, Thaksin, who fled the country to avoid facing jail time, tweeted that he wanted to return home before July 26, his 74th birthday, to care for his grandchildren.
His planned return was discussed on Wednesday at a family meeting attended by Khunying Potjaman Na Pombejra, Thaksin's ex-wife, Thaksin's daughters, Pintongta and her husband, and Paetongtarn.
The meeting at a Bangkok hotel took place after Ms Paetongtarn, one of the Pheu Thai Party's prime ministerial candidates, told the press at Pheu Thai Party headquarters that her father wants to return home next month and is ready to face justice.
According to the source, Thaksin cannot wait to return but the family is not sure about the timing and wants him to postpone his plan until the formation of the coalition government.
The source said the family also thinks it is too soon for Ms Paetongtarn to be prime minister and that it would be better for her to wait five years. At 37, the clan feels she is too young to handle the political situation, the source said.
Early on Wednesday, Ms Paetongtarn told the media that Thaksin plans to return to Thailand in July but he is likely to look at several factors before deciding on a date.
She said Thaksin has made no coordination through her, but he is believed to be liaising with certain government agencies.
Learn from listening
- candidate: a person who is trying to win an elected position - ผู้สมัคร
- clan: a very large family a group of families who are related to each other - ตระกูล
- coalition: a temporary union of different political parties that agree to form a government together - พรรคร่วมรัฐบาล
- coordination: the act of making all the people involved in a plan or activity work together in an organised way - การประสานกัน
- factor: a fact or situation which influences the result of something - ปัจจัย
- flee (past form: fled) (verb): to leave a place or person quickly because you are afraid of possible danger or consequences - หนี
- formation: the process during which something develops or is created - การสร้าง
- general election (noun): an election in which all or most members of a given political body are chosen. The term is usually used to refer to elections held for a nation's primary legislative body, as distinguished from by-elections and local elections (Source: Wikipedia) - การเลือกตั้งทั่วไป
- government agency: a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานรัฐ
- handle: to be able deal with a situation - ควบคุมได้, จัดการได้
- justice: a fair result or punishment from a court of law - ความยุติธรรม
- liaise (verb): to work closely with somebody and exchange information with them; to act as a link between two or more people or groups - ประสานงานระหว่าง, ติดต่อระหว่าง
- postpone: to delay; to decide that something will be done at a later time - เลื่อนออกไป
- source: a place where information comes from; someone who gives information - แหล่ง
- worrying (adj): that makes you worry - น่าหนักใจ