Phase 1 of high-speed rail ready ‘by 2026’
The first phase of a high-speed railway that will eventually link the Chinese city of Kunming with Bangkok will be completed in 2026, a government spokesman said on Thursday.
The 251-kilometre first-phase line will have six stops from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima: Bangsue Grand Station, Don Muang, Ayutthaya, Saraburi and Pak Chong.
According to the government, Chinese authorities have promised the Thai government to transfer knowledge related to high-speed railway construction, including materials, constructing rail lines on different kinds of terrain, station design, and bridge and tunnel construction.
The rail project has been hit by delays since it was first proposed to the government back in 2010.
One major sticking point was financing, with Thailand insisting that it would fund the project, as it did not want to repeat the experiences of other countries that had borrowed from China to fund megaprojects.
In Laos, Beijing paid 70% of the costs of the Vientiane-Boten high-speed rail line and much of the Lao government’s contribution came from loans from Chinese banks.
Learn from listening
- borrow: to take money from a bank, financial organisation, person, etc. and pay it back over a period of time - ยืม
- construction: the work of building or making something, especially buildings, bridges, etc. - การก่อสร้าง
- contribution: a sum of money, supplies, etc. that is given to a person or an organisation in order to help pay for something - การบริจาค
- delay: when you have to wait longer than expected for something to happen, or the time that you have to wait - การเลื่อน, การเสียเวลา
- finance: to provide money for something - จัดหาเงินทุนให้
- fund: to provide money for something - ให้เงินทุน
- insist: to say very firmly that something must happen or must be done - ยืนกราน
- loan: an amount of money that a person, business, or country borrows, especially from a bank - เงินกู้
- materials (noun): substances that things can be made from - วัตถุ
- phase: a particular period of time during the development of something - ตอน, ขั้นตอน, ช่วง, ระยะ
- sticking point: something that people do not agree on and that prevents progress in a discussion - ทางตัน, มีทางแก้ไขอื่น
- terrain: an area of land, usually one that has particular physical features - ภูมิประเทศ
- transfer: to move someone or something from one place, vehicle, person or group to another - ย้าย