Suspicion over police promotion
The quick rise of a former beauty pageant contestant, who went from a police lance corporal to a police captain in less than two years, has raised suspicions over patronage in the police force.
According to a post on the "Phuen Tamruat" Facebook page on Thursday, many civilians, including high-profile individuals and celebrities, become commissioned police officers each year and get promoted to a high rank soon after attending a 17-week training course.
The post said one female civilian-turned-commissioned police officer started as a police lance corporal in late 2021, only to be promoted to sub-lieutenant two months later.
She became a police lieutenant in June last year and then a police captain earlier this month, the post said.
The post urged Move Forward Party spokesman Rangsiman Rome to push for a formal investigation into the alleged patronage in the police and misuse of the training course.
While many low-ranking officers find it difficult to become commissioned officers, these civilians pass the course instantly to become one, he said.
Pol Lt Gen Archayon Kraithong of the national police said the promotion of the female police officer was strictly in line with Royal Thai Police requirements.
Learn from listening
- celebrity: someone who is famous, especially in the entertainment business - คนมีชื่อเสียง
- civilians (noun): people who are not members of the police or armed forces or government agencies - พลเรือน
- commissioned officer: an officer in the armed forces who has a higher rank, such as a captain or a general - นายทหารชั้นสัญญาบัตร (ตั้งแต่ร้อยตรีขึ้นไป), นายทหารประจำการ
- high-profile: receiving a lot of attention from the public - ที่มีชื่อ ที่ได้รับความสนใจจากสาธารณชน
- in line with: following a rule or system; also in accordance with and consistent with - สอดคล้องกับ
- lieutenant: an officer of middle rank in the army, navy, air force or police - ร้อยโท
- pageant: a competition to choose the most beautiful from a group of women - ประกวดนางงาม
- patronage: a system of help or protection given to people, often in return for their support - ระบบอุปถัมภ์
- promote: to move someone to a job at a higher level - เลื่อนตำแหน่ง
- promotion (noun): moving to a higher level; moving to a job at a higher level - การเลื่อนตำแหน่ง
- rank: someone’s official position in the armed forces, police, fire services, etc. - ยศ, ตำแหน่ง
- sub-lieutenant: an officer just below that of lieutenant - ร้อยตรี
- suspicion (noun): a feeling that something is not true or correct - ความสงสัย