Pattaya Floating Market devastated by fire
A fire broke out at the Pattaya Floating Market on Thursday night, destroying a section of the tourist landmark.
Twenty-seven fire trucks, with more than 200 firefighters, were sent to fight the fire that started at about 8pm.
The fire spread quickly due to most shops being constructed with wood and thatched roofs. Sounds of gas cylinders exploding were heard one after another.
The blaze was brought under control at about 10am, after causing damage to numerous shops and structures on one of the 19-rai (14,400-square-metre) land plots. One of the firemen suffered minor burns and was sent to a hospital.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, and the extent of the damage is being assessed.
A relief centre has been set up to help those affected by the fire.
Opened on Nov 1, 2008, the Pattaya Floating Market is a well-known tourist attraction showing arts, cultures and ways of life of people living along rivers throughout the country.
Before the blaze, there were more than 200 shops selling various products, souvenirs and food at the market.
Learn from listening
- cylinder: an object shaped like a wide tube; a metal container for gas or liquid - กระบอก
- devastated (verb): badly damaged or destroyed - ทำลายล้าง; ถูกทำลายล้าง
- extent: size - ขนาด
- firefighter: a person who puts out fires as their job - นักดับเพลิง
- numerous: many - มากมาย
- relief: help; assistance - การช่วยให้พ้นภัย
- souvenir: something that you buy during a holiday or at a special event to remind you later of being there - ของที่ระลึก
- thatch: dried straw, reeds, etc. used for making a roof; a roof made of this material - หลังคาใบจาก