Two drown when car drives off ferry pier
Two people drowned while a third smashed a window and escaped alive when a car plunged from a ferry pier into the sea in Sattahip district in the early hours of Wednesday.
The car was found in water 15 metres deep. Divers retrieved the bodies of the two women. A mobile crane later hauled the car from the sea.
Survivor Raveeparb Maksara, 20, told police he and three women friends travelled in the car from Bangkok to visit Sattahip district. They dropped off one of the women in Samae Sarn area.
- crane: a tall machine used for lifting or moving heavy objects and building tall buildings - ปั้นจั่นยกของหนัก
- drown: to sink under water and die - จมน้ำ
- escape (verb): to get away from a place; to leave a place where you are in danger - หนี
- ferry: a boat for taking passengers across an area of water, especially as a regular service - เรือรับส่งข้ามฟาก
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- overcome: to succeed in controlling or dealing with something - ต่อสู้อุปสรรคจนสำเร็จสำมารถดำเนินการต่อไปได้
- passenger: someone who travels in a motor vehicle, aircraft, train, or ship but is not the driver or one of the people who works on it - ผู้โดยสาร
- pier: a platform sticking out into water which people walk along or use when getting onto or off boats - ท่าเรือชนิดยื่นออกไปในน้ำ, สะพานที่ยื่นออกไปในน้ำ
- retrieve (verb): to get something back, especially something that is not easy to find - ได้กลับคืนมา
- terror: a feeling of extreme fear - ความหวาดกลัว