Phuket 'safety sandbox' set to begin
The "Safety Phuket Island Sandbox" will officially begin on Nov 26 at Pa Tong beach and Walking Street in Phuket as part of a Public Health Ministry scheme to promote health and safety for tourists.
Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin will open the event, said the Phuket Public Health Office chief.
The health and safety campaign will run for 100 days.
It aims to boost tourists' confidence in the medical care provided by local authorities. This is expected to drive up tourist numbers, helping the local economy.
Services offered include a "sky doctor" medical response team, and Green Health certificates will also be awarded for health-promoting hotels and tourist attractions. Hospital facilities and medical care quality will also be improved.
Food safety for dishes cooked by street food vendors will also be prioritised.
Apart from Phuket, the programme will expand to 12 other provinces: Bangkok, Nan, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Ayutthaya, Phetchaburi, Rayong, Kalasin, Udon Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Trang and Ubon Ratchathani.
The sandbox project in Phuket is centred on emergency medical units being made available at Pa Tong beach, rabies protection, free flu vaccination for 100,000 tourism workers, Street Food Good Health certification, the establishment of a Travel Medicine Centre as well as the introduction of a digital disease report platform.
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- boost: to increase - เพิ่ม
- campaign: a planned group of especially political, business or military activities which are intended to achieve a particular aim - การรณรงค์
- confidence: being certain of your abilities or of having trust in people, plans, or the future - ความมั่นใจ
- economy: the relationship between production, trade and the supply of money in a particular country or region - เศรษฐกิจ
- platform (noun): the type of computer system or the software that is used; a technology -
- response: a reaction to something that has happened or been said - การตอบสนอง
- safety (n): the condition of being protected from or unlikely to cause danger, risk, or injury -
- sandbox (noun): an isolated environment or situation. -
- vendors: people who sell things, e.g., food or newspapers, usually outside on the street - พ่อค้าแม่่ค้าหาบแร่แผงลอย