Tortured Taiwanese man found dead
Police are investigating the death of a Taiwanese man who was found bound and gagged in a ransacked hotel room in Bang Na district on Thursday morning.
The 48-year-old man was found dead in a room on the sixth floor of the Niran Grand Hotel on Udomsuk Soi 17 off Sukhumvit 103 (Udomsuk) Road, at around 10.30am.
Police found the body lying face-down beside a bed. The hands and legs were tied with belts and ropes, with the hands bound behind the back. The head was wrapped tightly in a plastic sheet, with plastic tape around the nose and neck area. Investigators believe the man had been tortured.
The victim’s personal belongings including his computer and mobile phone were not found.
Hotel staff said the man had checked in alone at 12.43pm on Tuesday.
Forensic police said the man had died at least eight hours before the body was found. Hotel maids said they had seen him using his laptop around noon on Wednesday.
Detectives have learned that the man arrived in the country at about 1am on Tuesday and checked into the hotel on Tuesday afternoon. Two Thai women met him at the hotel on Tuesday night.
Learn from listening
- belongings: the things you own - ข้าวของเครื่องใช้
- bloodstain (noun): a mark or spot of blood on something - รอยเลือด,จุดที่เปื้อนเลือด
- bound: tied together - มัด ผูกเข้าด้วยกัน
- forensic: relating to the use of scientific methods to solve crimes or to find out why something happened - เกี่ยวกับนิติวิทยาศาสตร์
- fraud: the crime of intentionally deceiving someone or cheating in order to gain an advantage or benefit - การฉ้อโกง การหลอกลวง เล่ห์เพทุบาย
- gag: to put a piece of cloth in or over somebody’s mouth to prevent them from speaking or shouting -
- human trafficking: the trade of humans, most commonly for the purpose of sexual slavery, forced labor or commercial sexual exploitation for the trafficker or others (Source: Wikipedia) - การค้ามนุษย์
- ransack: to go through a place stealing or damaging things - ปล้นสะดม
- rope (noun): very strong thick string made by twisting thinner strings, wires, etc. together - เชือก
- serve time: to spend time in prison for having committed a crime - ถูกจำคุก
- torture: to cause great physical or mental pain to someone intentionally - ทรมานให้เจ็บปวด
- victim: someone who has been harmed, injured or killed as the result of a crime - เหยื่อผู้เคราะห์ร้าย