Thai wins 1st runner-up in Miss Universe 2023
Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has congratulated Anntonia Porsild, who represented Thailand in the Miss Universe 2023 beauty contest, for being named 1st runner-up.
Miss Universe 2023, the 72nd Miss Universe pageant, was held in El Salvador on Sunday morning (Thailand time).
Ms Anntonia was named first runner-up, the country's highest placement since 1988, while the Miss Universe 2023 title went to Sheynnis Palacios from Nicaragua.
Government spokesman Chai Wacharonke said the prime minister congratulated Ms Anntonia for having done her best as Thailand's representative and clinching the 1st runner-up title.
"Even though Ms Anntonia was not crowned Miss Universe, her 1st runner-up title has made Thailand famous in a world-level arena. We Thai people are very proud of her," the spokesman said.
Ms Anntonia, 27, was born to a Danish father and a Thai mother, whose family hometown is Nakhon Ratchasima. She earned a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in communication arts from Stamford International University in 2022.
"No words can describe the way I’m feeling right now,” Ms Anntonia wrote on Instagram. “I put my all on the stage tonight for Thailand, for everyone who believed in me and was a part of my journey."
Learn from listening
- clinch (verb): to succeed in achieving or winning something - รัดแน่น, ตอกติด, ยึดติด
- congratulate: to tell someone that you are pleased about their success, good luck or happiness on a special occasion - แสดงความยินดี
- crown: to give someone the position of being a winner in a competition - ให้ตำแหน่งแชมป์
- journey: travelling from one place to another, especially when they are far apart - การเดินทาง
- placement: the act of placing something somewhere - การวาง
- proud: feeling pleased and satisfied about something that you own or have done, or are connected with - ภูมิใจ
- representative: someone who has been chosen or elected by a person or group to vote, give opinions, or make decisions for them - ผู้แทน
- runner-up: winning second place in a competition - รองอันดับหนึ่ง
- title (noun): the position of a winner in a sports or other competition - ตำแหน่งแชมป์