Group aims to change Pattaya sex reputation
A tourism group is working to change the perception of Pattaya as a destination for the sex industry.
The Association of Chonburi Tourism Federation (ACTF) is against extending the opening time of entertainment venues until 4am for establishments located on the beachfront road. They fear it would cause more trouble with residents in the neighbourhood and worsen the area's reputation in relation to the sex industry.
From Dec 15, the government will allow entertainment venues to open until 4am, starting with four tourism destinations -- Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai.
The 4am zone in Pattaya should be restricted only to Walking Street as this area attracts visitors looking to enjoy the nightlife scene in Pattaya, said Thanet Supornsahasrungsi of the ACTF.
He said that if the late opening hours were applied to operators on the Pattaya's Beach Road, it would definitely affect tourists and residents from hotels and condos located nearby.
Mr Thanet said not every tourist wanted to visit Pattaya for nightlife entertainment or visit the red-light district.
Mr Thanet said tour operators from Russia had raised concerns about the reputation of the sex industry in Pattaya, as their clients were mostly families and wanted other activities that were not linked with nightlife.
Similar feedback had been received from the Taiwanese market as they feel more comfortable visiting other destinations rather than Pattaya.
The ACTF will organise a tourism workshop to change the city's negative image linked to the sex industry to areas such as health and wellness.
Learn from listening
- affect: to produce a change in somebody/something - กระทบ, ส่งผล, มีผลต่อ
- concern: a worry - ความกังวล
- establishment: an organisation, an institution or a hotel - สถานประกอบการ
- extend: to add more time - ยืดออกไป
- image: an opinion that people have about someone or something - ภาพลักษณ์
- industry: the people and activities involved in producing a particular thing, or in providing a particular service; the production of goods from raw materials, especially in factories - อุตสาหกรรม
- negative: bad - ที่เป็นด้านลบ
- nightlife: things people do at night for entertainment, mostly eating at restaurants, going to bars, listening to music.... etc -
- perception: a particular way of understanding or thinking about something - ความเข้าใจ
- red-light district: a part of a town or city where there are many sex workers and sex-oriented businesses -
- reputation: the opinion people have about how good or bad someone or something is - ชื่อเสียง
- restricted: limited or controlled - ซึ่งถูกยับยั้ง, ซึ่งถูกควบคุม
- venue: the place where an activity or event happens - สถานที่ที่จัดงาน
- zone: an area that has an important or typical feature; an area where a particular activity is allowed or not allowed - พื้นที่, บริเวณ, เขต