Former officials found 'unusually rich' by B2bn
The National Anti-Corruption Commission has found four former Revenue Department officials in Samut Prakan province to be unusually wealthy, by 2.1 billion baht.
The NACC found sufficient grounds to suspect the former chief of the revenue office in Bang Saothong district, Samut Prakan, and three other former officials in that office to be unusually rich. Their wealth was linked to alleged tax refund corruption.
In its investigation, the NACC found that the amount of money in their bank accounts was unusually very high and did not match their regular income from government service. They were unable to clarify the sources of the money.
The total amount of money which exceeded their normal incomes was 2.085 billion baht.
The NACC resolved to send the investigation reports to the attorney-general and ask him to request the Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases to order the confiscation of assets acquired with this money.
The NACC reports would also be sent to the Revenue Department, in order for the agency to officially discharge them from government service on corruption charges.
- asset: a thing of value - สิ่งที่มีคุณค่า
- Attorney-General: the top legal officer in some countries, who advises the leader of the government - อัยการสูงสุด
- clarify: to explain something more clearly so that it is easier to understand - แจกแจง ชี้แจง
- confiscation: officially remove someone’s possessions for legal reasons or as a punishment - การยึดทรัพย์
- corruption (n): dishonest or illegal behaviour, especially of people in authority -
- discharge: to allow someone officially to leave somewhere, especially a prison, hospital or a court of law - ได้รับอนุญาตให้ออกจาก
- exceed: to go beyond an official limit; to be greater than a number or amount - เกินปริมาณ
- former: of or in an earlier time; before the present time or in the past - อดีต, แต่ก่อน
- income: money that someone gets from working or from investing money - รายได้
- investigation: the process of trying to find out all the details or facts about something in order to discover who or what caused it or how it happened - การสอบสวน, การตรวจสอบหาข้อเท็จจริง
- refund: to give back an amount of money that was paid out - คืนเงิน
- Revenue Department: the government department responsible for collecting taxes - กรมสรรพากร
- source: the place/person/organisation from which you get something - แหล่ง
- tax (noun): money that you have to pay to the government so that it can pay for public services - ภาษี
- unusually: different from what is usual or normal - ผิดปกติ