Tourist wears Thai police uniform in video
The national police chief has ordered a probe into a video of a Chinese tourist wearing part of a police uniform while a police officer stood by to open a car door for him.
A police spokesman said on Tuesday the probe will look into the origin of the video.
He urged tourists to avoid wearing official uniforms or requesting police to drive for them. They could be breaking the law, he said.
He also said police should use caution when approached by tourists seeking to use their location, equipment or uniforms for content creation.
The initial investigation found that the person in the video was a police officer attached to Central Police Tactical Training.
The officer admitted that he and his Chinese tourist friend were the people in the video. The officer said his friend took his police uniform inside his car to wear.
The video in question was shared by a person using the name Luijeen on Facebook, who also posted several still photos of a Chinese tourist wearing the top of a police uniform.
Luijeen, with 1.4 million followers, asked whether this behaviour was appropriate and mentioned the controversy early this year involving a Chinese tourist receiving an unauthorised VVIP service from police.
Four policemen were investigated after the Chinese tourist posted several videos on Chinese social media in which she claimed to have been escorted quickly through immigration and offered a police motorcycle escort to her hotel in Pattaya.
Learn from listening
- admitted (verb): agreed that something is true, especially when you are unhappy, sorry or surprised about it - ยอมรับ
- appropriate: suitable or right for a particular situation or purpose - ที่เหมาะสม
- caution: careful thought and lack of hurry in order to try to avoid risks or danger - ความระมัดระวัง
- content: the subject, ideas, or story that a piece of writing or a radio or television programme deals with - เนื้อหา,สาระ
- controversy: a disagreement that a lot of people have strong feelings about - ความขัดแย้ง
- escort: a person or group of people or vehicles that travels with somebody/something in order to protect or guard them - คนคุ้มครอง
- escort: to go with a person or group of people in order to protect them - คุ้ม
- initial: early; first - เบื้องต้น
- origin: the place where someone/something comes from - ที่มา, ต้นกำเนิด
- probe: an attempt to find out the truth about an issue, problem or accident, made by an official group (or by the media); an investigation - การตรวจสอบ การสอบสวน
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก
- uniform: the special set of clothes worn by all members of an organisation or a group at work, or by children at school - เครื่องแบบ