Gambling Russians arrested in Phuket
Four Russian gamblers were arrested while playing poker at a luxury villa in Phuket.
A fifth was charged with possession of substances for smoking in a hookah pipe.
Police raided the villa in Soi Salika on Monday.
As they arrived they saw a man park a motorcycle outside the premises and hurry inside. Police followed him in and up to the second floor, where they found four other Russians playing poker.
The poker players were arrested and police seized a large card table, two decks of cards, 88 chips said to be worth about 356,300 baht, substances used for hookah smoking, and other items.
The four card players allegedly admitted to gambling at poker, using the chips as cash.
The raid followed an investigation into reports of foreigners illegally gambling at the villa.
Learn from listening
- chip: a small flat piece of plastic used to represent a particular amount of money in some types of gambling -
- deck of cards: a full set of 52 playing cards for playing card games -
- gambling: the activity of betting money, for example in a game or on a horse race - การพนัน
- hookah: an oriental tobacco pipe with a long, flexible tube which draws the smoke through water contained in a bowl -
- poker (noun): a card game for two or more people, in which the players bet on the values of the cards they hold - ไพ่โป๊กเกอร์
- possession: having or owning something - การครอบครอง
- premises: the buildings and land that a business or organisation uses - ที่ดินและสิ่งปลูกสร้าง
- raid: to forcefully and suddenly enter a place to catch criminals or to search for something like drugs - ใช้กำลังเข้าค้นสถานที่หรือ จับกุมคนร้าย
- substance: a particular type of liquid, solid, or gas - สาร