VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories October 14
published : 14 Oct 2022 at 11:40
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: mass murder aftermath, Putin visit, new Covid variants and more rain
Mass murder aftermath
His Majesty the King told bereaved families he shares their grief following the nursery massacre that killed dozens in Nong Bua Lamphu.
The king met survivors and relatives at Nong Bua Lamphu Hospital, ahead of royally-sponsored funerals and Tuesday's mass cremation.
Local media meanwhile were outraged by two foreign CNN journalists who reported from inside the nursery.
The two were photographed climbing a fence to leave the grounds, which were a crime scene.
Claiming they had official permission to enter the nursery, the journalists were found to have entered the country on tourist visas, prohibiting them from working.
The two had their visas revoked and left the country after each paying a 5,000 baht fine.
Putin to attend Apec summit
Russian President Vladimir Putin has accepted Thailand's invitation to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Bangkok next month, according to a security source.
The Foreign Ministry has already informed security agencies to prepare security arrangements for the Nov 18-19 meeting.
US President Joe Biden will send a representative on his behalf while Chinese President Xi Jinping's attendance is still pending confirmation.
A post on the Foreign Ministry's Line app stated that nine "economies" have responded positively to the invitation to attend, and claimed eight more are likely to attend.
Singapore variants 'not here yet'
The Department of Medical Sciences has denied the new Covid-19 BQ.1.1 and XBB variants from Singapore have entered Thailand yet.
Both new variants are more contagious than previous strains.
The daily Covid-19 case tally in Singapore has risen from 1,000 people in September to up to 7,000 in October.
The growing number of tourists between Thailand and Singapore means the new subvariants are expected to enter Thailand soon.
More heavy rain ahead
And finally, will it ever stop raining?
Provinces in the northeastern, eastern and central regions, including Greater Bangkok, are bracing for more heavy rain today, with forecasters warning it could worsen flooding in the country.
Compounding concerns, a large volume of water from the North is making its way down to the Central Plains provinces and is set to wreak further havoc on communities living along the Chao Phraya River, including those in Bangkok.
- bereavement: the state of having lost a relative or close friend because they have died - การสูญเสียญาติหรือเพื่อสนิท
- brace: to get ready for something unpleasant - เตรียม
- compound: to make a problem or difficult situation worse - เพิ่ม
- contagious: of a disease that can be caught by touching someone with the disease or a piece of infected clothing - ซึ่งแพร่กระจายได้ง่าย
- cremation: the burning of a dead body - การเผาศพ (งานพระราชทานเพลิงพระศพ)
- Foreign Ministry (noun): Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the ministry in charge of maintaining relations with other countries and looking after the interests of its citizens living abroad. - กระทรวงการต่างประเทศ
- funeral: a ceremony that takes place after someone dies - งานศพ
- grief: a strong feeling of sadness, usually because someone has died - ความเศร้าโศก
- havoc: a situation in which there is a lot of damage or destruction, or in which something cannot continue in its normal way because of problems - ความเสียหายอย่างรุนแรง, ความหายนะ
- outraged: extremely angry - โกรธแค้น
- pending: waiting to be dealt with, settled or completed - ยังค้างอยู่, ซึ่งยังไม่จบสิ้น, อยู่ในระหว่าง
- permission: allowing someone to do something - การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
- prohibit: to not allow; to ban - ห้าม
- representative: someone who has been chosen or elected by a person or group to vote, give opinions, or make decisions for them - ผู้แทน
- revoke: to say something is officially no longer legal - ยกเลิก, เพิกถอน
- summit: a meeting or a series of meetings between leaders of two or more countries - การประชุมสุดยอด
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน