Nintendo plans life-sized video game at Universal Studios Japan

Nintendo plans life-sized video game at Universal Studios Japan

J.L. Bonnier, CEO of Universal Studios Japan, speaks during a news briefing in Osaka on Tuesday. (Bloomberg photo)
J.L. Bonnier, CEO of Universal Studios Japan, speaks during a news briefing in Osaka on Tuesday. (Bloomberg photo)

TOKYO: Nintendo fans can soon experience a life-sized video game via a new attraction at Universal Studios Japan.

Super Nintendo World is slated to open this summer in Osaka, featuring a Power Up Band wearable that lets visitors collect coins and battle bosses while exploring a physical environment.

Users track their progress via a smartphone app, according to the theme park operator owned by NBCUniversal LLC.

"Super Nintendo World will provide an experience you cannot have anywhere else," USJ chief executive officer J.L. Bonnier said at a briefing in Osaka yesterday.

He wouldn't divulge further details about rides or other digital offerings, or when they will be available.

Little is known about the attraction, which amounts to a mini theme park developed with Super Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto.

Universal Studios hinted it will follow classic Nintendo game themes, revolving around a mission to recover a golden mushroom stolen by Bowser Jr, a perennial Mario antagonist.

The attraction will also house familiar game locations including the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario Kart, Peach's Castle and Bowser's Fortress.

Super Nintendo World will also make it to the operator's parks in Hollywood, Orlando and Singapore, though no dates are available.

Nintendo's late president, Satoru Iwata, first announced plans for a theme park in May 2015 as part of a broader opening-up of the company's iconic characters for use beyond its own devices.

At the time, the move prompted speculation that the Kyoto-based game maker may follow Walt Disney Co's strategy when it comes to maximizing the value of their intellectual properties.

Since then, Nintendo has launched a number of smartphone games, including a free-to-play version of the Mario Kart franchise, but making hit titles exclusive to its own hardware is still the core business.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

'We're sorry'

PM Prayut says sorry and vows to revise measures to prevent a repeat of the Egyptian and Sundanese cases. Rayong tourism sector hard hit by second blow.

20:16

Labour Ministry resumes migrant permit services

The Labour Ministry has resumed services nationwide by adopting social-distancing measures in order to complete the legalisation process for migrant labourers who registered online by March 30.

19:07

Bangkok gears up for motor show as restrictions ease

Bangkok on Tuesday prepared to host its twice-postponed annual auto show, with organisers saying it would showcase the country's success in containing the coronavirus.

17:57