Finally a win for Super Power

Finally a win for Super Power

Super Power's Thanapol Udomlap celebrates his goal against Navy.
Super Power's Thanapol Udomlap celebrates his goal against Navy.

The resumption of Thai League 1 hostilities on Saturday night after a long international break delivered one of the biggest surprises of the season so far as cellar-dwellers Super Power Samut Prakan, winless in their past 29 league games, edged Navy 3-2.

The Super Power Stadium erupted in noisy celebration when Thanapol Udomlap produced the match-winning goal in the 63rd minute and the home team fans started anticipating their first league victory of the year.

There were some anxious moments for the Super Power team on the field and their fans in the stands but they successfully warded off Navy's attacks for the next half an hour to win the match.

Super Power coach Sirisak Sangchan was euphoric after the victory.

"This is the score we had been waiting for and it finally happened tonight," said Sirisak.

"Our past results may suggest other things, but we have worked very hard for this victory.

"It was a great game for us and everyone played very well."

Super Power were labelled as a surefire bet for relegation this season months ago.

While the victory ended their 27-match losing streak in the top flight, it did little to make their league record respectable.

They improved to four points from 30 matches but still remain 16 points behind second-last club Thai Honda.

Super Power's previous best result in the league this year was a goalless home draw against Bangkok Glass in their second match of the season on Feb 18.

Super Power went ahead in the 18th minute when Suradet Thongchai headed home a lob from Kittiphob Upachakum.

Rodrigo Vergilio put Navy back on level footing a minute before the break, firing the ball past a diving Super Power goalkeeper Piriya Nainet from close range.

Adefolarin Durosinmi's volley gave Navy the edge two minutes into the second half, but Super Power took only five minutes to equalise through a goal from Kittiphob before Thanapol produced the winner.

Navy coach Somchai Chuayboonchum was "disappointed" after his side became the only top flight team in almost nine months to go down to Super Power, who have conceded a whopping 119 goals this season and scored only 25.

Somchai said: "We are very disappointed. But we were not ready for the match because we have several injured players."

In another late game on Saturday night, hosts Ubon UMT United extended their winless run in the Thai league to seven matches as they suffered a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Pattaya United.

Do you like the content of this article?