FC Seoul get record fine over sex dolls

FC Seoul get record fine over sex dolls

Mannequins in the stands at FC Seoul's stadium last Sunday. (AFP photo)
Mannequins in the stands at FC Seoul's stadium last Sunday. (AFP photo)

SEOUL: South Korea's FC Seoul were fined a record 100 million won (approximately 2.5 million baht) for using sex dolls to fill seats at a match held behind closed doors, with K-League officials saying the football club had "deeply humiliated women fans".

With spectators barred because of the coronavirus, FC Seoul came under fire after dozens of dolls wearing T-shirts or holding placards with the logo of a sex-toy seller appeared at Sunday's game.

The incident made headlines around the world.

After reviewing the case, the K-League accepted FC Seoul's claim that it did not know the mannequins were sex toys, but said it "could have easily recognised their use using common sense and experience".

"The controversy over this 'real doll' incident has deeply humiliated and hurt women fans [and] damaged the integrity of the league," it said in a statement late on Wednesday, handing down the largest fine in its 38-year-history.

FC Seoul accepted the decision, apologised and promised to prevent a repeat.

Reports say a mannequin distributor approached the K-league offering to provide its products to fill empty stands for free, and was introduced to FC Seoul.

The team said it had asked the police to investigate the provider.

The K-league's new season kicked off without spectators on May 8 after being postponed for more than two months.

Clubs have used cardboard cutouts, placards and banners to fill up the stands, but fans were not impressed with the sex dolls.

"I wonder how they even came up with this bizarre idea. This is an international disgrace," said one online critic.

Another fan added: "FC Seoul turned its stadium into a X-rated zone." 


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (7)

US deaths top 100,000 as countries reimpose distancing measures

WASHINGTON - The US coronavirus death toll passed 100,000, as some countries reimposed social distancing rules following a resurgence of cases that raised the spectre of a dreaded second wave of infections.

28 May 2020

Trump to target social media with executive order

WASHINGTON - US President Donald Trump was set Thursday to target social media giants like Twitter, which he accuses of bias against him, with an executive order opening them to new regulation.

28 May 2020

Virus unleashing new wave of US layoffs

WASHINGTON: The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits held above 2 million last week for a 10th straight week amid job cuts by US state and local governments whose budgets have been decimated fighting the COVID-19 pandemic and more second-wave layoffs in the private sector.

28 May 2020