Buriram on track for triple
text size

Buriram on track for triple

Thunder Castle defeat Rabbits, claim Thai League Cup

Job done: Buriram players celebrate during the League Cup final against BG Pathum United last night.
Job done: Buriram players celebrate during the League Cup final against BG Pathum United last night.

Buriram United defeated BG Pathum United 2-0 in a keenly contested showdown for the Thai League Cup top honours at Thunder Dome Stadium last night.

An early goal by Goran Causic and another by Thailand striker Supachai Chaided in the dying moments of the final proved enough for the Thunder Castle to add second silverware of the season to their trophy cabinet.

Buriram went into the match still basking in the glory of claiming back-to-back Thai League 1 titles in an impressive manner.

The northeastern giants have set their sights on sweeping all three domestic titles and they remain on course.

Buriram are also in the Thai FA Cup final in which they face Thai League 1 runners-up Bangkok United next Sunday at Thammasat Stadium.

The Thunder Castle had a slight upper hand in the midfield early in the match with their star players Theerathon Bunmathan, Supachai, Suphanat Mueanta and Causic controlling the game well.

The Rabbits, skippered by Andres Tunez, mainly relied on the experience of veteran Thailand internationals Teerasil Dangda and Sarach Yooyen.

Buriram went ahead in the 13th minute when Theerathon found Causic with a corner kick and the Serbian midfielder scored from close range.

Buriram missed the chance to double their advantage a little later when a shot by Supachai flew over the bar.

After conceding the goal, Pathum wrested control and forced Buriram on the back foot.

The Rabbits' best chance to even the score was foiled by Causic as he dropped back to ward off a strike by Patrik Gustavsson.

During the last 15 minutes of the first half, Theerathon pounced on a mistake by Pathum defenders but his shot was blocked by Tunez.

Minutes later, Supachai was denied for the second time in the match, this time his fine effort thwarted by Pathum defenders.

The trend continued in the second half with Buriram starting briskly but then relinquishing control to the Rabbits.

Teerasil uncharacteristically missed a couple of opportunities after the break, one of them brilliantly saved by Buriram goalkeeper Siwaruk Tedsungnoen.

Siwaruk was the saviour again in the 77th minute when he warded off an effort by Surachart Sareepim.

After all those early miscues, it was Supachai who had the last laugh, adding the second goal to the Buriram tally in injury time and ending any hopes of a recovery by the Rabbits.

Do you like the content of this article?