Eclair poisoning toll rises to 38, inquiry begins

Eclair poisoning toll rises to 38, inquiry begins

Health officials on Wednesday inspect the production process for eclairs at the Makro outlet in Nan’s Muang district, to find the cause of the food poisoning. (Photo by Rarinthorn Petcharoen).
Health officials on Wednesday inspect the production process for eclairs at the Makro outlet in Nan’s Muang district, to find the cause of the food poisoning. (Photo by Rarinthorn Petcharoen).

NAN - The number of people hospitalised after eating eclairs at branches of a big retail store in Nan township rose to 38 on Wednesday as health inspectors began a full inquiry.

Dr Pongthep Wongwatcharapaiboon, deputy director of Nan Hospital, and a team of health officials inspected the production process for the eclairs at the Makro outlet in Muang district to find the cause of the food poisoning. 

Officials said that in all 38 people who purchased the cream puffs had sought treatment at several hospitals in six districts -Muang, Phu Phiang, Ban Luang, Mae Charim, Santisuk and Chiang Klang.

Sakolkrit Sukhawattanakul, manager of the store’s outlets in the North, said a thorough examination wouldbe made of the production process to find out the exact cause of the food poisoning.

Production and sale of the eclairs would cease until the matter is  cleared up .

He would visit the patients and take responsibility for the incident.

----------------

Earlier story:

NAN -Twenty-six people have been hospitalised after eating eclairs at a department store in Muang district.

Consumers fell ill three hours after eating the cream-filled desserts from the retail store in downtown Nan.

Dr Pongthep Wongwatcharapaiboon, deputy director of Nan Hospital, said on Wednesday that the number of people seeking treatment after eating the eclairs stood at 26. 

Most patients bought the dessert from the same retail store in this northern province. Many suffered acute diarrhea, dizziness and vomiting, said the doctor.

The hospital believed there might be some irregularities in the ingredients and production process, he said. If the dessert was contaminated with bacteria, consumers would develop symptoms in six hours to two days.

But most patients quickly fell ill after eating it, suggesting that there might be some chemicals in the ingredients, said the hospital’s deputy director.

The hospital has asked the store to remove the dessert from shelves and samples of the product would be sent for lab tests.

All patients are now safe. 

There were also similar reports in other areas where the patients bought the dessert from different department stores and market vendors.

Health authorities have warned local residents against eating eclairs pending lab test results.

Nan governor Suwat Promsuwan and Maj Gen Chainarong Klaewkla, commander of the 38th Army Circle, on Wednesday visited patients seeking treatment after eating eclairs.  Among them were two girls aged two and seven years old.

A doctor talks to a relative of one of the 38 people being treated at Nan hospitals after eating contaminated eclairs from the Makro outlet in downtown Nan. (Photo by Rarinthorn Petcharoen)


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (1)

Man arrested for jealous-frenzy murder

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT: A man has been arrested and charged with pulling his girlfriend out of a car and stabbing her to death in a fit of jealous frenzy.

15:42

Get to work

The new ministers recite the oath of office before His Majesty the King, and there's no honeymoon period - with their first cabinet meeting on Thursday.

15:16

Arrested Hong Kong media tycoon tells staff to 'fight on'

HONG KONG: Hong Kong pro-democracy media mogul Jimmy Lai on Wednesday told his reporters to "fight on" following his dramatic arrest, as China widens its crackdown against critics in the semi-autonomous business hub.

14:45