Four rescued boys in good condition, Anupong confirms
published : 9 Jul 2018 at 10:42
writer: Online Reporters
The first four boys evacuated from Tham Luang cave complex early on Sunday night are in good condition, Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda confirmed on Monday morning.
The four were now being treated at Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital in Chiang Rai's Muang district, about 70 kilometres from Tham Luang.
Gen Anupong said they were under close medical supervision and generally "strong and safe", but they still needed to undergo more medical tests.
Three of the four boys who emerged from the cave on Sunday night were airlifted to the hospital, while the fourth was taken there by ambulance. Their identities have not been confirmed.
The 12 boys and their football coach had been trapped since June 23 when heavy rain flooded the cave complex. Dehydration and malnutrition were primary concerns and they were given liquid food after being found on July 2.
The first four boys rescued from flooded Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai, are transferred to Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital in Muang district. (Reuters video)
Once outside the cave, the four boys were examined by doctors at the field hospital set up outside the cave. After an initial assessment, they were referred to Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital.
The same teams of divers will be deployed to bring out the remaining nine people, because they were familiar with the terrain.
But the rescue teams would be thoroughly assessed to ensure they were fully ready and prepared to proceed, he said.
Narongsak Osottanakorn, head of the search and rescue operation, said on Sunday night it would be several hours before the rescue mission would resume as divers had to replenish air tanks and supplies along their route.
Ambulances carry the boys from Tham Luang cave to makeshift helicopter pads on Sunday. (Video by Chiang Rai Public Relations Office)