Chilean nabbed for thefts at Suvarnabhumi

Chilean nabbed for thefts at Suvarnabhumi

Pol Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn, deputy chief of Tourism Police Bureau, shows photos of an airport theft suspect taken from CCTV cameras, during a press conference after the arrest of Juan Carlos Yanez Miranda at Suvarnabhumi airport. (photo by  Sutthiwit Chayutworakan)
Pol Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn, deputy chief of Tourism Police Bureau, shows photos of an airport theft suspect taken from CCTV cameras, during a press conference after the arrest of Juan Carlos Yanez Miranda at Suvarnabhumi airport. (photo by Sutthiwit Chayutworakan)

A 64-year-old Chilean man has been arrested for a series of thefts at Suvarnabhumi airport, the Tourist Police Bureau reported.

Juan Carlos Yanez Miranda was apprehended under an arrest warrant at the Airport Rail Link exit as he was entering the airport late on Sunday afternoon.

He was carrying cash worth 39,000 baht in Thai and US currencies, and the passport and credit cards of a Chinese man.

His arrest followed complaints to tourist police by foreign tourists that their property was stolen at the airport. After viewing airport CCTV recordings the Samut Prakan court approved an arrest warrant for the Chilean national.

According to police, the suspect admitted he stole from three Chinese tourists and a Thai national, making off with about 100,000 baht in total.

He picked tourists in a group and snatched belongings left unattended by his victims, police said. The suspect was on a tourist visa and claimed to be a gambling addict in need of money.

Tourism police said there had been a increasing number of thefts reported at the airport recently. Surveillance would be stepped up.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (5)

Activists unfurl Tibet flag at Beijing Olympics flame ceremony

OLYMPIA, Greece: Activists unfurled a Tibetan flag and a banner that said "no genocide" at the flame-lighting ceremony for the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics in Greece on Monday.

17:45

Serious-offence probe into mishandling of 'Boss' case

A seven-member committee has been set up to conduct a serious disciplinary investigation of former deputy attorney general Nate Naksuk's decision to drop a charge of reckless driving causing death against Red Bull scion Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya.

17:16

Bye-bye Sinovac

The combination of the Sinovac and AstraZeneca jabs will be replaced by a formula of AZ and Pfizer after the Chinese-made vaccine runs out.

17:00