Immigration Bureau to tackle backlog due to typhoon delays
The Immigration Bureau is taking steps to deal with congestion caused by flight delays at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports due to Typhoon Hagibis.
Ten flights from Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo scheduled to arrive at Suvarnabhumi airport between 9am and 5pm yesterday were cancelled and five other flights were delayed.
Pol Maj Gen Veeraphol Charoensiri, commander of the Immigration Bureau's Division 2, said staff were on full alert at immigration counters to deal with any backlog of passengers. Airport officials were deployed to help passengers. Special immigration counters have been set up for children, the elderly, as well as pregnant and disabled passengers.
Meanwhile, the Thai embassy in Tokyo on Saturday confirmed that no Thais have been injured in the storm so far. The embassy asked Thais to postpone their travel to Japan during this time.
Earlier, the Japan Meteorological Agency warned that Typhoon Hagibis would hit Japan yesterday and today, bringing torrential rain and strong winds. This could affect flights to and from Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo, the agency said.